I want to help you not just survive, but THRIVE in these crazy times. Yes, it is an uncertain time and there are things that we won’t be able to control – but it doesn’t have to be an obstacle, it can be an opportunity.
For 7 weeks I am going to send you a daily dose of inspiration, because if we set our compass right, we can sail through this!
“Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” A.A. Milne
Tip #31 : Set alarms to go off through the day, for Mindset Checks
I’d like to help you strengthen the habit of being aware of your mindset – and being able to adjust it. Cultivating a positive and powerful mindset is the key to thriving in this time. Set the alarm on your phone to go off a few times through the day. Every time it pings, use it as a cue to run these three simple steps:
Step 1: Become Aware
- Where is my attention?
- What am I thinking and feeling right now?
- What story am I telling myself about what is happening?
- Am I focused on moving towards a solution or away from a problem?
- Am I anchored to gratitude or frustration?
- Am I acting in line with my values and priorities?
This is a practice of becoming mindful and self aware.
Step 2: Release
- Take a slow deep breath – Let go of whatever is not useful
- Smile (possibly rest your mind, for a moment, on one thing you feel grateful for)
- This is a process of realising that you are not your thoughts, thoughts happen and you have the choice to ride them or not.
Step 3: Refocus
- Clarify your intention and refocus your attention deliberately.
- Choose what you do next.
This process can be very short once you get used to it. The more times you do it through the day, the more instinctive it will become to notice where your attention is and how it is impacting you. You will strengthen the habit of deliberately focusing your energy – cultivating a powerful mindset.
Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff, by Richard Carlson
So many of us would like to live our lives in a calmer and less stressful way, and be able to let go of our problems. This is the book that can show you how to stop letting the little things in life drive you crazy.
Dr Richard Carlson teaches us, in his gentle and encouraging style, simple strategies for living a more fulfilled and peaceful life.